Things have been very busy around here the past week and a half! The first story I have to tell you is about a little stray dog that found its way to us. We have MANY stray dog stories (and pictures), but that will have to be a post for another day.
I was sitting at our kitchen table, my back to the French doors off the deck, when one of our dogs started barking like crazy. I figured it was just one of the stray cats that Sarah likes to feed, so I turned around to see which one it was. Imagine my surprise when scratching at the door to get in was a little pomeranian! It was pouring rain, so the little guy was soaking wet. The boys grabbed a towel and we got him dried off, and were very disappointed that he didn't have any identification. He was freshly groomed, and looked like he hadn't missed any meals, so we figured someone was missing the little guy.
We spent the next two days calling all the vet offices and animal shelters in McDonough, trying to make a connection with an owner looking for a pomeranian. The break through came on Saturday morning (June 28th) when Tom spotted a poster for a lost pomeranian, who was fresh from the groomers. Later that afternoon, we reunited little Dakota with his family who lives a couple of streets away.
He was such a joy to have! Sarah took full charge of him while he was here, and he was such a little gentleman. It was very hard to say good-bye!
I was sitting at our kitchen table, my back to the French doors off the deck, when one of our dogs started barking like crazy. I figured it was just one of the stray cats that Sarah likes to feed, so I turned around to see which one it was. Imagine my surprise when scratching at the door to get in was a little pomeranian! It was pouring rain, so the little guy was soaking wet. The boys grabbed a towel and we got him dried off, and were very disappointed that he didn't have any identification. He was freshly groomed, and looked like he hadn't missed any meals, so we figured someone was missing the little guy.
We spent the next two days calling all the vet offices and animal shelters in McDonough, trying to make a connection with an owner looking for a pomeranian. The break through came on Saturday morning (June 28th) when Tom spotted a poster for a lost pomeranian, who was fresh from the groomers. Later that afternoon, we reunited little Dakota with his family who lives a couple of streets away.
He was such a joy to have! Sarah took full charge of him while he was here, and he was such a little gentleman. It was very hard to say good-bye!
Friday morning, June 27th, Aaron Benjamin Gilliam made his way into the world, weighing 7 lbs. 14 oz. Tom and I went to the hospital to visit with Chuck and Julie Friday evening, and is he ever sweet!!!!!A couple of weeks ago, we learned that our friends, the Coppock's, were having the hardwood floors redone in their house. At 33 weeks pregnant, Jill didn't want to be breathing in the fumes from the stain and polyurethane, so their plan was to pitch a tent in their yard for the week during the refinish. When Tom heard that they were going to stay in a tent, he insisted that they come occupy our guest room, an offer that they eventually accepted, but it took some convincing! They were wonderful house guests, and we were so disappointed when they decided to go home last night. They don't believe that the floors are finished yet, so they may be back for a night or two this next week.
I can't over exaggerate how well behaved their children are -- not because they were born that way, but because Jill and Patrick are so diligent in their training of them. Have you ever had a two-and-a-half year-old say, "I beg your pardon?" to you? The older children never cried, never complained, always said, "Yes M'am" or "Yes Sir" and for the most part, did exactly what they were told. If they didn't, there was punishment. Some of you may be thinking that it sounds like a dictatorship, but I assure you that this is one of the closest, most loving families I have ever met. They were a true blessing to us!
Patrick works in research at Emory University, and most of his work is done through their computer, so he was able to work at our house, or at the local coffee shop. It was sweet to see him work with the little boys reading books next to him.
Andrew put his hat on Pledger- so cute!For the July 4th holiday, we went over to the Rogers' for swimming and a cookout with the rest of our congregation. I didn't get pictures, but we had a great time!
This morning, I got up and went blueberry picking, which can be very arduous. My best advice to anyone wanting to blueberry pick is, 1) go with a friend, it will make the time go faster if you have someone to talk to; and 2) just pick and don't look down at your bucket and see how quickly it isn't filling. It takes about two hours of picking to fill a gallon bucket. I just loved being outside, feeling the sunshine, feeling the occasional breeze and listening to the birds! Tom arrived home from a 4-day trip this morning just before I got back from blueberry picking.
We have been busy this afternoon doing our Saturday chores of cleaning the house and washing the laundry. Tomorrow is our church dinner, so Sarah and I have some cooking to do this evening in preparation. Andrew is downstairs making salads for everyone for dinner. Yum!
Until next time . . . . . .






No comments:
Post a Comment