Our blog has been quiet these past few weeks due to mundane living. Mundane living is good! Living out of the ordinary too often can be draining!
Our favorite time of year is just weeks away, and with the fall season comes a return to the school books. Much of my time lately has been spent planning out the year and making sure we have everything we need. I'm as bad as the kids -- I'm already looking forward to our first break! Thanksgiving week seems so far away . . . .
Bands, choirs, and riding lessons began last Friday. Whew! Fridays are going to be our busiest day of the week! I think it will be easier to do all of our running in one day than to have it spread out over the week.
My little garden is still giving us veggies, but most of the plants have about had it with the summer heat. Tomorrow, I think I will have enough tomatoes to can some tomato juice, and we'll be having eggplant in some form for dinner. One of the moms at band last Friday sold me a bushel of okra from her garden for $10 -- so guess what I've been doing! My okra plants did really well, but I didn't plant nearly enough of them, so I'm thankful for her abundance.
Our favorite time of year is just weeks away, and with the fall season comes a return to the school books. Much of my time lately has been spent planning out the year and making sure we have everything we need. I'm as bad as the kids -- I'm already looking forward to our first break! Thanksgiving week seems so far away . . . .
Bands, choirs, and riding lessons began last Friday. Whew! Fridays are going to be our busiest day of the week! I think it will be easier to do all of our running in one day than to have it spread out over the week.
My little garden is still giving us veggies, but most of the plants have about had it with the summer heat. Tomorrow, I think I will have enough tomatoes to can some tomato juice, and we'll be having eggplant in some form for dinner. One of the moms at band last Friday sold me a bushel of okra from her garden for $10 -- so guess what I've been doing! My okra plants did really well, but I didn't plant nearly enough of them, so I'm thankful for her abundance.
My dining room has been taken over with school books! This is only part of the collection -- the rest of the books are spread out on a table in our music room. (Hmmmm . . . I wonder why the front door was open . . . .)
Our resident box turtle, Pistachio. The boys see him periodically in our landscape, but one morning this week, he greeted us at the front door steps.
Time to get busy with school work! The kids have too much time on their hands! Poor Baxter, dressed in a baby outfit that Sarah puts on her dolls!
This crazy cat is Reeses, named after the peanut butter cup because his fur looks like chocolate and peanut butter mixed together. We began seeing Reeses around our house last winter and started sitting food out for him. Every morning when I would open the kitchen blinds, he would be sitting on the deck, in front of the door, waiting for his breakfast. He showed up one morning in February as usual, we fed him his breakfast, and we didn't see him again. Tom and I suspected his demise. Imagine our total surprise when he showed up again this week, SIX MONTHS LATER! He is just as congenial as ever and acts as if he never went away in the first place. He is the only cat (there are 9) that we can touch. He is very affectionate -- especially with Sarah. He will follow her all around the yard.
Tom and Andrew went to Wayne and Judy's house this week and picked up their dog house (they no longer have a dog), and it has been turned into a cat house. Last year, it was pitiful to see the cats wet and shivering in below freezing temperatures, so we're going to try to help them out this year. But first, we're going to help them stop multiplying . . . . .

No comments:
Post a Comment