Friday, January 11, 2008

Science Fair

Last fall, Bryan Anderson asked Christian if he would partner up with him to present a project at the local science fair. Christian agreed, and they spent time over the past few months preparing and experimenting.

There were approximately 30 projects that were entered covering a very wide range of topics. I saw one project in which a girl experimented to see if her mascara grew bacteria at 20 days, 30, and 40 days. Another project was presented in which the student performed experimentation to determine whether or not the anti-bacterial wipes that stores offer their customers for the purpose of cleaning shopping cart handles was effective. A very interesting experiment (and a prize winner, I believe) that I viewed was by two boys who set out to find which agent cleaned stained carpet the best -- isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, baking soda, and carpet cleaner. I was truly amazed at the creativity and wide range of subjects that were represented!

I am pleased to report that the experiment that Bryan and Christian presented won third place in the high school division! Congratulations boys!



Posing with their project entitled "Can a Robot that Distinguishes Between Acids and Bases be Easily Created?"

Now, it's off to Regional competition!

No comments: