We were very excited to see some visitors come in with the Coppock's on Sunday morning. After the service, we had the privilege of meeting Ted and Doro. Ted is a colleague of Patrick's at Emory who is also working on a PhD in the same program as Patrick. Doro had just arrived here in the US for the first time four days before. She is here to work on an MBA in California. Both Ted and Doro are from China.
Here is where the story gets ugly. I was talking with Jill (Patrick's wife) after meeting Ted and Doro, and asked her what she was going to be serving them for dinner. She was going to be making a pasta dish with chicken, artichokes and some other ingredients, and it sounded positively scrumptious! Here is where things went downhill. I said, "Ooooooo, that sounds so yummy! I want to come too!" Now, I was only kidding, but I should have known better -- I'm talking to Jill here, "Miss Hospitality." She immediately responds with, "Oh, you have to come then!" I was then mortified with what I had done -- I HAD JUST INVITED MY FAMILY TO SOMEONE'S HOUSE FOR SUNDAY DINNER!!! I told her that I was only kidding, and that we couldn't come, as I had nothing to contribute to the meal. She assured me that she had plenty and that they really, really wanted us to come. I realized that she was absolutely serious.
So, the Thomas' did something that they very, very rarely do -- they were spontaneous! We went to the Coppock's house and enjoyed a wonderful meal and sweet fellowship. Ted and Doro told us about their culture in China, wrote for us in Chinese, and entertained the kids with their paper folding skills. I am so glad that we got to share the afternoon with them, but I am so embarrassed at how it all came about!
Here is where the story gets ugly. I was talking with Jill (Patrick's wife) after meeting Ted and Doro, and asked her what she was going to be serving them for dinner. She was going to be making a pasta dish with chicken, artichokes and some other ingredients, and it sounded positively scrumptious! Here is where things went downhill. I said, "Ooooooo, that sounds so yummy! I want to come too!" Now, I was only kidding, but I should have known better -- I'm talking to Jill here, "Miss Hospitality." She immediately responds with, "Oh, you have to come then!" I was then mortified with what I had done -- I HAD JUST INVITED MY FAMILY TO SOMEONE'S HOUSE FOR SUNDAY DINNER!!! I told her that I was only kidding, and that we couldn't come, as I had nothing to contribute to the meal. She assured me that she had plenty and that they really, really wanted us to come. I realized that she was absolutely serious.
So, the Thomas' did something that they very, very rarely do -- they were spontaneous! We went to the Coppock's house and enjoyed a wonderful meal and sweet fellowship. Ted and Doro told us about their culture in China, wrote for us in Chinese, and entertained the kids with their paper folding skills. I am so glad that we got to share the afternoon with them, but I am so embarrassed at how it all came about!





No comments:
Post a Comment