A beautiful crisp day signaling that spring is just around the corner!
Here's Christian and I next to the wall at the top of the 100 yard path that leads from the entrance. That path depicts many battles in our nation's history and it is bittersweet to think of the lives given that we can stand here in freedom.
| "Iron Mike" |
Visitors entering the museum are greeted with a giant bronze statue of an infantryman known affectionately as "Iron Mike" who is said to be uttering the Infantry slogan:
Follow Me!
This is an impressive monolith that lies just inside:
For over two centuries I have kept our nation safe, purchasing freedom with my blood. To tyrants, I am the day of reckoning, to the oppressed, the hope for the future. Where the fighting is thick, there am I
I am the infantry! Follow Me!
All I can say is Wow!
These scenes were taken in fairly low light conditions with a long shutter speed. The figures don't move so it works.
Here we have a real tour guide (who happens to be the weapons curator) so slight movement is apparent. This is a recovered Bradley Fighting Vehicle which was totalled by an IED in Iraq then carefully restored (cosmetically) for display in the museum. It weighs somewhere around 33 tons! (We're on the second level!)
Here's a shot looking down the hall, you can see how dimly lit it is and there's that 66,000lb Bradley sticking over the edge!
All the young men wanted a chance to shoot the rifle training simulator since it uses actual retired weapons converted for laser shooting and compressed air to induce a realistic recoil effect. The troops get to use this system 'cause it's that good and it does save taxpayer money on ammo.
A little preactivity briefing
Christian taking aim on lane four. He out-scored everybody else, 19 of 20. The next closest was 11 of 20. Gee, I wonder who taught him how to do that?
The winner smiling because he doesn't know yet that the high scorer buys a round for all. In this case, it'll be soft drinks.
A fine group of young guys - L - R Christopher Chafin, Jacob McAvoy, Christian, Michael Cook and
Joseph Deaton
Joseph Deaton
Two more young guys!
The chapel is still used to this day. It can be used for Protestant, Catholic or Jewish services.
Posing with a fine gentleman whom we thanked for his service
There was once such a thing as a nuclear grenade. And here it is. With a launch range of about 2.5 miles, it was not considered something people were clamoring to shoot!


No comments:
Post a Comment