Thursday, December 1, 2011

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY LUKE!!!!!!!!

One year ago today, at 2:26 p.m., a precious baby boy entered the world weighing 7 lbs. 1 oz.!

 
Parents who love him so much!

Luke has grown into a happy, curious, active, bubbly, spunky, giggly, energetic, quirky, inquisitive, content, smiley, fun, chubby one year old!  (adjectives provided by family members)







Luke likes to share his food with other family members . . . .

. . . . furry members included.

On our trip to Knoxville to pick up our babies.

Reading his most favorite book with Sissy.

The remnants of Luke's first hair cut . . .

I took this video with my phone - it's not the best quality, but he gives a good performance!

Fun Facts About Luke

Fact 1
Luke is very close to walking!  He will walk around furniture and will walk down a wall.  He will stand alone for short periods of time.  Today, he walked a short distance just holding on to one of my hands.  

Fact 2
 Luke is obsessed with our piano!  (see video above)  When he is outside of the kitchen gate, he makes a bee line for the piano.  He gets his fingers up on the keys on one end and walks all the way down to the other end playing the keys as he goes.  He goes high, he goes low.  He puts great effort into playing the keys and grunts and breathes heavily.  He actually makes himself sweaty!

 Fact 3
Luke is learning how to share!  His favorite thing to share is his food - not so much his toys.  

Fact 4
Luke LOVES pictures!  We have pictures hanging on most of our walls and he loves to look at them and point to everyone.  (Don't tell him, but I am getting him his very own photo book for Christmas!)

Fact 5
Luke likes to point at things!  His pointer finger gets a lot of use throughout the day. 

Fact 6
Luke's favorite things to play with remain his books.  Of all his books, his favorite is Goodnight*Moon.  We read before he goes down for his naps and before he goes to bed at night.  And sometimes we read it in between those times because he likes it so much!

Fact 7
Fact 7 is supposed to tell how much Luke weighs.  I forgot to do that before he went down for the night.  I'll have to come back and add that info! 

Fact 8
 Luke remains deeply attached to his blankey, so we have invested in two more that are identical.  At least I can wash the dirty one while he clings to a clean one.

Fact 9
 Luke has learned how to take off his clothes.  One day this past week, he removed his pants at nap time and threw them outside of his crib.  The next day, it was his shirt.  I'm waiting to find his diaper one of these days . . .

Fact 10
 Luke had his one year pictures taken today!  He was not at all interested in being photographed, so I told the photographer that I would be happy if she got just one good shot.  I'll be posting them soon!

Fact 11
Luke got his first hair cut last night while sitting on my bathroom sink!  He did very well and seemed to know what I was doing.  At one point, he pointed at the scissors and then pointed to his hair.  I cut very little off - just enough to even up the ends.  He definitely looks like a little toddler boy now! 

Dear Luke, I will never forget the first time I laid eyes on you one year ago today.  My heart swelled with love for you, a child not of my flesh and blood, but loved just the same as if you were.  Each day of your first year of life has given me such joy as I have watched you gain new skills and have witnessed your personality blossom.  You have kept me busy!  I have never encountered a little boy who likes to move and explore so much!  Actually, you remind me a lot of your big brother, Andrew.  He was a mover and explorer too!  That translated to several emergency room visits.  Can we just skip that part?  

As you begin your second year of life, my prayer for you is that you begin to know your Creator.  I pray that you never remember a time in your life that praying and praising Him weren't a part of your day.  You dad and I pray for the wisdom to guide you and teach you all that you need to grow up into a man with strong morals and character, who has the heart of a servant and whose foundation is rooted deeply in the Scriptures.

Your first year of life has passed so quickly!  Can we please slow down a little?!!



3 comments:

Aaron and Jennifer said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Luke!! :)

Tully Family said...

Happy Birthday, Baby Luke Thomas (as Lizzie loves to call you!). :)

Lara said...

Glad you have something so wonderful and amazing to celebrate at this otherwise difficult time. He is a handsome little boy! Happy Birthday!