Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Transfer Follow Up

I had my follow-up phone appointment with Dr. K last week.  I really appreciate the personal touch he gives to the whole process, and his genuine expressions of sorrow that our little ones are no longer with us.  He reminded me as some of my sisters in Christ have, to not forget that God's will was accomplished through me and how wonderful it was that Tom and I gave those frozen little lives a chance. 

The rest of our conversation went much like the conversation we had after our first transfer.  From his clinical point of view, everything was perfect, but for whatever reason, the embryos were incapable of continued growth.  He encouraged us to try again a third time because he sees couples all the time who have had two failed transfers, and then gone on to have a successful pregnancy the third transfer.  Honestly, the thoughts of a third transfer are very daunting to Tom and I right now.  For the time being, we are resting with quiet hearts before the Lord and are praying for Him to clearly reveal to us what His will is.

One of the other couples who was also a part of the November transfer cycle wrote a sweet note to every recipient couple letting them know that they were praying for them.  Such a wonderful gesture!  Dr. K jokingly said that they had just raised the bar for all the recipients!  T (the wife's first initial) and I have kept in contact with one another and in her last e-mail to me, she said that she had asked Dr.K what the final numbers were for the November cycle.  (T is braver than I - I thought about asking Dr. K that question, but then decided that I didn't want to know just in case I was the only transfer recipient that didn't maintain a pregnancy!)  Dr. K told her that out of 26 transfers, only 10 got pregnant and maintained the pregnancy.  That made me so sad!  I was expecting a higher number of pregnancies, but after doing some research, such is the nature of frozen embryo transfers.  It was the first transfer for T and her husband, and they were not among the 10 couples who were pregnant.

Thank you again to those of you who left comments expressing your sympathy for our loss, and especially to those of you who reached out to me privately.  Your thoughts and encouragement mean more to me than you can know this side of heaven!

3 comments:

Tully Family said...

Hugs & prayers! And, YES- the Lord is using you in the lives of these little ones. I wish with all my heart it had been to be parents on this earth but I trust that God is good & loves you in the midst of this!

Aaron and Jennifer said...

10 out of 26 really is the 1:3 or 33% live birth rate of FETs. But, that doesn't make losing your babies any easier...I know. Hugs to you and your family during this Christmas season... :)

Ashley said...

It really is hard to not know exactly why those babies didn't stick with you. I'm glad to know I have a loving Father who has a great plan. Praying for you as you decide where to go from here.