Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Letter to Sarah Palin



The letter I posted below is stirring up many comments in other circles I frequent in cyberspace. Tom and I agree with Mrs. Morecraft's letter entirely. One of the blogs I visit is debating the issue of a female civil magistrate, and people are bringing up that Deborah was appointed as a judge of Israel. I decided to share the comment I posted on that blog this morning.


As Christians, we are called to discern the Word of God, which is very different from judging. Scripture is clear on the differences between male and female, and a woman should never hold a position over a man. Gary DeMar (americanvision.com) has written a piece on Deborah as the judge of Israel, and in it, he says this:

"There is no doubt that the judgeship of Deborah is out of the ordinary, but the period of the judges is not a normal period in Israel’s history. The men are weak, as Barak’s response indicates (4:8), and the people were generally unrighteous with every man doing “what was right in his own eyes” (17:6). We see what this type of society produces if the men don’t assume their proper leadership roles. The people will choose a king like all the nations (1 Sam. 8), but not before adversely affecting the family and church."

Are there women leaders in our society? Yes, and from a biblical perspective, it is a disgrace. Are they in office providentially? Yes, but why? The majority of men in this country are spiritually dead or weak.

For me personally, based on Scripture, I cannot in good conscience vote for Palin because she is a woman, a woman with young children no less. Do we justify her abandoning her children because she is a good leader? I am a wife and mother, and you cannot lead a country and raise your children biblically at the same time. In the case of Deborah, she was not a mother. As a Christian, Sarah Palin is not exempt from Titus 2.

If McCain is elected and she is the VP of the US, will it be God's will? Absolutely. Could Sarah Palin be part of God's will at this time for the US? Absolutely. But we must see it in proper biblical context -- when women rule over men, it is a sign of God's judgment for moral and leadership decay.

Gary DeMar's piece with comments from others:
www.americanvision.com


Doug Phillips' Blog:
www.visionforum.com



No comments: