The results of 2 hours of blueberry picking at the local organic blueberry farm.
We have gotten TONS of roma tomatoes (hundreds) from our 6 plants. (see this post for how we grow them)
This . . . . .
. . . . . equals this.
One 9 x 13 dish full of tomatoes, rubbed with olive oil, stuffed with fresh garlic, cooked in the oven at 375 for 3 hours, then pureed in the blender, equals one quart of tomato sauce.
My canning efforts for this season have been squelched due to the fact that my canning equipment (hot water bath canner and pressure canner) are made of aluminum and not compatible with my new induction cook top. I love, love, love my induction cook top (I can boil a kettle full of water in 60 seconds), but it has crippled me in the canning department. I found a stainless steel water bath canner online that the manufacturer claims is induction compatible and am awaiting its arrival. Finding a pressure canner that works (and that I can afford) is going to be a challenge. If the new stainless steal water bath works, canning diced tomatoes is in my near future! In the meantime, I'll keep cooking and pureeing tomatoes and freezing the sauce.
Our zucchini, yellow squash and cucumber plants are still producing. What we don't eat of the squash goes in the freezer. Christian makes sure we don't have any cucumbers left!
One 9 x 13 dish full of tomatoes, rubbed with olive oil, stuffed with fresh garlic, cooked in the oven at 375 for 3 hours, then pureed in the blender, equals one quart of tomato sauce.
My canning efforts for this season have been squelched due to the fact that my canning equipment (hot water bath canner and pressure canner) are made of aluminum and not compatible with my new induction cook top. I love, love, love my induction cook top (I can boil a kettle full of water in 60 seconds), but it has crippled me in the canning department. I found a stainless steel water bath canner online that the manufacturer claims is induction compatible and am awaiting its arrival. Finding a pressure canner that works (and that I can afford) is going to be a challenge. If the new stainless steal water bath works, canning diced tomatoes is in my near future! In the meantime, I'll keep cooking and pureeing tomatoes and freezing the sauce.
Our zucchini, yellow squash and cucumber plants are still producing. What we don't eat of the squash goes in the freezer. Christian makes sure we don't have any cucumbers left!


No comments:
Post a Comment