Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Annual Trek up Stone Mountain

The Thomas' and the Gilliam's made their annual trek up Stone Mountain today. I am ashamed to report that the 27-week pregnant, 30-something woman struggled less up the mountain than the nearly 40 year-old woman! Claire rode atop her Daddy's shoulders (using his eye sockets as her point of grip -- I can't tell you how funny this was!!!!!!), and Charlie was a trooper and walked up the whole way by himself. Sarah, Abby, and Megan lead the way, followed by Chuck, Tom, and the boys, with Charlie, Julie and I, bringing up the rear.

After reaching the summit, the guys (minus Charlie) hiked back down to get the cars and meet us at the Crossroads Village, while Julie and I took the younger ones down by way of the tram.

Finally at the top!


After our trek up the mountain, we decided to eat dinner at Miss Katie's in the Crossroads Village. We were enjoying our dinner, when Chuck said, "Is it me, or is this table getting taller?" Sure enough, the table was rising higher, and was now level with our chins! We quickly alerted our waiter, who got quite a laugh out of our reaction. It seems this is a trick they like to play on their customers who sit at this table!



When we first realized that the table was getting taller, Tom pulled out his video camera and began filming the progression. He pulled this frame off of his camera, so it's a little blurry, but you can see the table height -- a little higher than normal! And there's our waiter, acting like nothing is wrong . . . .



Here is a picture of the table fully extended -- very funny!

After we finished our dinner at Miss Katie's, Julie and I decided to scope out a spot on the pavilion to pitch our lawn chairs and blankets for the laser show, while the guys went and got our stuff out of the vans. We followed the wooded path from the Crossroads Village to the pavilion, and made our way on to the green. As we begin to look for a place spread our stuff, we realized that we didn't see the girls. We were concerned but not panicked . . . . . YET.

Julie told me stay where I was with Claire and she would go look for them on the path we were just on. A few minutes later, I see her appear far down below where the path ends with her arms lifted up signaling that she didn't find them. Then the panic set in. At that same time, I saw two security officers on the green between Julie and I. I began running down the hill with little Claire in her stroller towards the security officers. Poor Claire! She was holding on for all she was worth, and slowly turned around to see who in the world was driving! Julie and I reached the officers at the same time and breathlessly told them what the girls were wearing and how long it had been since we had last seen them. Then we phoned our husbands and told them that they we couldn't find the girls. The search was on . . . . . .

By this time, a full 20 minutes had gone by, which doesn't seem like a long time, but it's an eternity when you don't know where your child is. The only thing I could do was pray for the Lord to protect them, give them peace and wisdom, and return them safely to us. In the meantime, darkness is setting in . . . .

By this time, Chuck, Tom and the boys had reached the green and had joined the search. As I was standing on the green, surveying the multitudes, I heard Christian shout, "There they are!" I thought my legs were going to give way beneath me as I ran to the other side of the green where the three girls were standing! I was the first of our party to reach them, and all I could do was grab them and cry. Oh, the relief and joy knowing they were safe and sound!!! I quickly called Julie on her cell to let her know they were safe and sound.

After piecing it all together, we realized that we had a breakdown in communication. The girls were a few steps in front of us on the path, and they called out, "Watch us do this!", while Julie and I said, "Come on girls!" as we walked out onto the green. Neither one of us realized that the other didn't hear and wasn't following. As I was running down the hill towards the security officers, the girls walked out on the green where I had been standing just a few minutes before. As they paced back and forth, a kind lady came to them and asked if they were lost. They said that they were, so she took them to the Coke stand to alert security. The security guards that Julie and I had spoke to earlier, arrived at the Coke stand at the same time as I did. This story had a happy ending -- many do not. We had a brief glimpse of what a parent must go through when their child is missing. Horrible things begin to run through your mind -- such a helpless feeling! We praise God for His hand of protection on the girls!

We were all emotionally exhausted at this point (at least Julie, the girls, and I were!) but we managed to enjoy some sweet treats and the laser show.



Megan, Abby and Sarah after their rescue.



Tom chowing on some butter pecan ice cream, despite the chilly temperatures.



When Chuck asked for the popcorn to be passed to him, it sailed through the air and landed with an explosion of popcorn all over the ground. Perfect, thought Charlie who quickly scooped it up!



When the guys went out to the vans to get our chairs and blankets, they discovered that is was Monster Truck Week at Stone Mountain, and snapped a few pictures. That's one obnoxious truck!

No comments: