Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First Fruit of our Labor!

My little garden is growing, albeit slowly! My zucchini and yellow squash are doing great, but my tomato and watermelon plants are struggling. That's what I get for planting them and leaving them unattended for 3 weeks! I was truly surprised that anything at all was growing when we came home from vacation. I thought about asking someone to come over and water the garden in our absence, but in the end, I just couldn't inconvenience anyone. It isn't their problem that I put in a garden before leaving for three weeks, right?



My little garden
What I have growing from l to r -
strawberries with gladiolas behind them, eggplant, zucchini, assorted peppers, okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, yellow squash, and watermelon and cantaloupe. Sarah planted some sunflowers at the back right of the garden. The far right of the plot hasn't been planted yet, but will soon have winter squash and miniature pumpkins growing on it for fall.

My Grandma and Grandpa Umbaugh always had the most amazing garden each summer! I find myself wanting to plant the things I remember them growing in their yard. My Grandma grew beautiful flowers all over their yard, hollyhocks being my favorite. I tried to grow some this year, but I think our soil is lacking what they need, as they are really struggling. I'll enrich the soil this fall, and hopefully next year, I'll have some gorgeous double hollyhocks growing at the side of the my yard.



Sarah showing off the first fruit of our labor -- a sweet banana pepper!

No comments: